Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (October 28, 2010) – On October 18-19 – UNDP Peace and Development Programme conducted one day training on the basics of Conflict Sensitivity Mainstreaming in Development Programming for the staff members of UNDP, Department for International Development (DFID) and civil society partners.
The main goal of the training is to enable participants to better understand conflict sensitivity and promote understanding and analysis of possible results, practical use of the material in mid and long term perspective through simulation games.
For the basic training there was used a study module which is one of the first from three similar modules, meant to explain UNDP and DFID staff the issue of conflict sensitivity, to train in conducting analysis of conflict potential and methods of conflict sensitivity integration into activity of development institutions with the purpose of minimization of negative and maximization of positive effects on conflict environment and dynamics of institutes’ activity.
As a result of the conducted training the participants clarified the disputable issues and realized peculiarities of various interpretations of concepts like “conflict”, “peace” and “violence”; were provided insights on the nature of conflict, conflict sensitivity; realized the necessity of conducting work on conflict sensitivity, and also identified conflict sensitivity measures which could be applied in their work.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and our wide range of partners.
Some of the participants feedbacks on the trainings:
- It was an actual topic, we are starting planning our activity and it is important to include “conflict sensitivity” in our plans
- It is desirable to obtain additional knowledge
- It is necessary to introduce conflict sensitivity into our projects
- I will apply the received knowledge in practice
- Such trainings should be conducted for the deputies of JK
- It is desirable for all workers to receive the knowledge in this sphere and disseminate the knowledge to their partners
- It would be useful to participate in advanced trainings